Thursday, July 23, 2009

Doctor Visit and all is Well


12:00 noon-Thursday July 23rd
We have just returned from Isabel's physical exam. Another cultural experience. The exam center is located here on Shamian Island. Nice ten minute walk from the hotel. The exam is for Isabel's entry to the U.S. She was a real trooper. It was a two hour process. Isabel had to get five shots. I think it was harder on us watching than it was on Isabel.

Yesterday afternoon we went to the police station to apply for Isabel's passport. David could not take us so he arranged for his coworker, Rebecca, to take us. She was so cute and bubbly. It was not a long process but all the same it was a process. Like David, Rebecca has to translate everything for us and in the midst of her translating she got in trouble for talking too loudly. It was quite funny. She really wasn't talking loud at all. However there were signs everywhere saying "be quiet.".

Last night after we returned from another culinary adventure at Lucy's we taught Isabel how to play cards. We just played war although Will wanted her to learn Texas Hold-em. Isabel won war hands down of course then we made her count her cards aloud. Before bed each night we practice letters and last night we did math too. No problem with math.

Will is finding that banks in China are quite different than in the states. Before we traveled we were told that our U.S. money had to be new bills. Now we know why. They individually inspected every bill. This made for a long process when changing dollars to rmb. Also yesterday we were out shopping with David and a van stopped in front of us and four men jumped out in full body armor and machine guns. Will and I almost had a heart attack. David just laughed at us. I was the Chinese equivlient of Wells Fargo.

Isabel is learning to snack. Right now she is sitting here eating Lays potato chips and drinking Mountain Dew. She is definitely Will's daughter. Will was thrilled to find Mountain Dew and now he has Isabel drinking it. We'll have to work on this bad habit.

She was worth the wait.
Hugs and kisses to all,
Will, Marla, and Isabel

10 comments:

  1. This is great! Can't wait to spoil her...Keep the updates coming. King and his Court

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla and Will,

    Juanita was telling me all about your wonderful adventure Teusday and Wednesday on our way to and from Savannah. I asked her to send me the blog so I could keep up. We know you are going to make wonderful parents and we can't wait to meet Isabel. Have a safe trip home and you are all in our prayers.

    Judy Tatro (Juanita Hamblen's sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean you have taught her to play cards and snack on junk food and high caffeine?! Did somebody forget to tell you that parents try to teach their children not to have bad habits, not start them? Yeah, yeah, it was to reinforce math skills.

    I can just picture all of you giggling until your stomach hurts. Don't laugh hard enough for the Mtn. Dew to well, never mind.

    I can't imagine a 2 hour doctor appt. If nothing was found in all of that, she must be very healthy. Probably from eating all veggies and no meat and potato chips?

    I'd offer to do free testing for her but I can you already what I would find: she is bright, shy, well loved by her parents, and generally wonderful. I predict she will do as well as Kim Lorberbaum did adjusting to her new world and Kim is way at the top of my list of miracles. I wish I could give you a huge hug. I guess Isabel will have to do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We, in North Carolina, are keeping up with the Pridgens. It is so wonderful there are now three of you. Please give Isabel a big hug and kiss from us.
    We are praying everything will continue to go well in China. Can't wait for you to get home!!
    Love and kisses to all, Aunt Marj

    ReplyDelete
  5. your grandpa is very proud of his new grand daughter and your grandmother loves you in her own special way. I can't wait to give you a hug. I now have 6 cheerleaders and two players. you have a seat at williams-brice stadium and soon will be going to watch the gamecocks play. can't wait to show you off at the lettermen's lounge. we'll eat there before the games. all my grand daughters are beautiful, but you may be the queen of them all.
    I can't wait to see you.
    love,
    grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok Marla and Will...I'm reading all the posts from friends, etc. and Will's father has me in tears!! What a dear man...
    Can't wait to hear if Isabel likes Cheerwine as much as she does Mr.Dew. Of course, you'll have to get her back to NC to taste that!
    I'm really enjoying your daily blog. Something I look forward to each day. Keep in up!
    I'm so happy for all 3 of you.
    love you, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marla and Will-
    I'm always the last person to find out the cool things that are going on with the WW family! (well, it might have something to do with being at the beach for the past 2 1/2 weeks!) Saw Pam C. today and she told me about your blog and I've been sitting here catching up on your adventures!! I'm so excited for you. Tears of joy are streaming and I can't wait for all of you to get home and begin your new and amazing life together! Thinking about you lots.
    Love,
    Ashley Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I didn't write yesterday but we certainly read the "Solar Eclipse in China" blog. As I read it, I couldn't help but wonder if Isabel is excited about her new name?
    Today, Natalie felt really bad for Isabel as she just got 2 shots on Friday and will get 2 more in a few weeks for school too.
    And I just about had a heart attack too but probably not as much as you guys did when I read about the van and the guns. I thought "you've got to be kidding not after what they've been through at home."
    I've also been reading everyone's comments and had tears running down my face while reading what Will's dad wrote. Isabel is so blessed to have both of your families love. She's blessed to have you guys as parents.
    I hope we get to meet Isabel in NC.
    lots of love
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Mr. Pridgen certainly has a way with words! What a beautiful way to welcome his newest grandaughter. Blessings to you all as you continue this miraculous journey!
    Love, Donna
    p.s. I hope boiled peanuts and grits will be among the many southern 'snacks' for Isabel to try! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am crying at Grandpa Pridgen's words..."all my granddaughers are beautiful but you may be the queen of them all." What an endearing, sweet way to welcome Isabel. As Isabel is introduced to all her new family and friends, she might wonder, What's wrong? Everyone cries. She will soon learn the joy we all feel for the three of you.

    Keep the blogs coming. They are GREAT! Can't wait to see all of you.

    ReplyDelete