Friday, July 24, 2009

Emotioal Day-Trip of a Lifetime to Huidong


July 24th 3:00 P.M.
We are in the van headed back to Ghangzhou after a trip to Isabel's orphanage in Huidong. Words will not be able to express what we have experienced today.

We left the hotel this morning at 8:00 and arrived at the orphanage at 11:00. The three hour trip was not bad. Isabel does get car sick so we gave her medicine to make the trip. She slept almost the whole way to Huidong and is asleep now. The trip had beautiful scenery. Reminded us of the North Carolina mountains. David, our guide, has always referred to Isabel as being from the country so we where expecting rural and country. To our surprise, Huidong is a huge city. We saw things today that you could only see in China. The city is very crowded. There were a lot of motorcycles, mo-peds and many homemade looking vehicles.

We easily found the orphanage as Ms. Wang met us downtown. When we arrived at the orphanage there was a large gate that was guarded. Ms. Wang, the lady that brought Isabel to us last week, took us into the main office to formally meet the director and have hot tea. (I think that all the problems for the world could be solved over Chinese hot tea.) There we also met Isabel's English teacher, Yan. Yan was very sweet and we welcomed an additional interpreter. As soon as we arrived Isabel vanished. This worried me for a minute but of course I knew that she had gone to share with her friends all her experiences of the past week. Or, for all we knew, she could have been telling another girl, "No really, you go with them, I'll stay here.". After a long tea time we went upstairs to meet Isabel's friends, see her room and meet her caregivers. Everyone was so friendly. We took lots of pictures. If it were up to us, Will and I would adopt all twenty children in the orphanage. We even joked with David about bringing home another little girl named Huidon. David laughed and said "This isn't Africa, you can't just take them all."

The orphanage was clean and well kept. It has only been open since 2005. The grounds were well maintained. After more tea, pictures, exchanges of addresses and waves goodbye Ms. Wang rode with us to show us where Isabel was found. It turned out to be a health clinic. It was pouring rain. Isabel had no idea why we were stopping and she sat in the van with the driver while we got out to take pictures. We were there for less than three minutes. It was very hard not to be extremely emotional, but we made it. (Isabel is as tough as nails and I'm learning to be too.)

We proceeded on to lunch only to find that we would be having lunch with Ms. Wang, Yan the English teacher, and the orphanage director. Will and I were hoping to just stop for Isabel, David, and the driver and we would eat cheese crackers. It didn't happen that way. We arrived at a large nice restuarant and were taken upstairs to a private room. There was a large round table set for us as nice as any I've ever seen. David and the director discussed what we would eat. I think that Will could sense my stress at the thought of eating a true Chinese meal with our new friends. We all sat down for lunch after tea and I think appetizers. The food soon followed and kept coming. Isabel was fine and had no problem. As for Will and me, thank goodness we had David and Yan. David told me what each dish was and Yan helped Will. We ate family style with chop sticks only. To my surprise, the food was wonderful, although there were several animal heads that kept going by on the lazy susan. This was by far the best meal we've had since we have been here. The fellowship could not have been better. We tried to pay for the meal but the orphanage director would not let us. When we asked how we could repay him for his hospitality he just asked us to love and take care of Isabel. With that, I teared up and we promised that we would do just that.

After that, we said our tearful goodbyes and we were off again. Today was wonderful for us because we were able to learn so much about Isabel and her life before us. The orphanage director discribed Isabel as the quietest, healthiest, and the toughest child in the orphanage. Ms. Wang added that they have never seen Isabel cry. Isn't that funny she doesn't cry and she has already seen both of her parents cry. I guess you have to be tough as nails when you've been through what Isabel has in her eleven short years. If you've never had a family to love you and all your worldly possessions can fit into one small backpack things are just different. I feel that we have been given a great gift and God hand picked this child for us.

Please keep us in your prayers that we can give her the life that she deserves.

She was worth the wait.
Hugs and kisses to all.
Will, Marla, and Isabel

14 comments:

  1. "My God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do!"
    That song just seemed so perfect after reading this post!! :) Thank you again for sharing with us this most wonderful journey! God has chosen two incredible individuals and one sweet, little girl to form this forever family!We are so very, very, happy for all three of you! Love, Kari, Patrick & Anna Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. just learned how to access blog yesterday and have been catching up. saw where you(marla) had an adventure with a toilet in the floor. those things are treacherous. I once lost a slipper in one after a night on the town in tokyo. we called them benjo's,but that was long ago, shortly after the police action.
    yesterday, sounded great. I can't wait to see Isabel and show her a picture of the original Isabel, who used to take milk & chocolate cake to you(will)& dargan in your tree house and cook a steak for a hungry son, at midnite, after a ball game.
    so much love, so much family. what a stoic little soldier, is isabel. we'll make a gamecock fan out of her, and they will make her cry.
    you guys hug isabel for me, until i can do it myself. every post makes me want to see her more.
    love to all,
    grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your blog with us. I feel like I am right there with you on this journey to get Isabel. What a beautiful journey it is. If Isabel could only see how all of your family and friends end up crying every time they read your blog!!
    Can't wait to meet her.
    love you,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to wake up every morning and read more of "The Adventures of Will, Marla and Isabel"!! It is like a best selling novel....that gets better with every chapter! The best part about this book is that the characters are real life people that we will soon be able to hug and laugh with....it doesn't get any better than that! Thanks so very much for sharing this oh so special journey with us....it has been wonderful! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon.
    Love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pridgen Family,
    I had to chuckle at Grandpa's entry today. He is right-the Gamecocks will make her cry(especially when the Gators are in town). Words cannot adequately express my joy at the love you all have found. Being a parent is the most difficult, yet rewarding experience Lisa and I have come to know. You will find that children are more resilient than us old folks. Remember, they see the world thru a much different pair of eyes than we do. I think you will find the transition will be smoother for her than you ever thought, but it will be more difficult for you both as parents because of your worldly knowledge. Lisa and I are always just a phone call or half day car ride away!
    Wishing all of you peace and love! King and his Court

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Pridgens,
    Bill is right on the ball, no pun intended, with the crying thing. I will not venture into the Gamecock/ Gator rivalry, but if that seems too intense, the Mountaineers have a new basketball coach whose team can surely get a tear out of anyone. Will, the Green Park Inn is being auctioned off on July 31; that loss for you might bring out your sensitive side and show Isabel that crying (with laughter) is a not a bad thing. Jenna will be excited to learn that Isabel is but a year younger than she. You know where to find us when your little girl learns how the work the whole "pre-teen" drama thing. Enjoy all you guys experence. It is, I am sure, moving along all too quickly. We love, need, and miss you three.
    Take good care,
    the four j dolls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marla,

    I have never known two better and well chosen people to love this child. God does know best, and it is evident with the choice he made when he put you and Will with Isabel. She has already touched all of our lives in a few days, and we haven't even met her yet. I can't wait til ya'll get home -- For a child that hasn't had family, she is going to have much family in several states.

    Lots of love to you and your family,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Isabel may wonder why all your friends cry when we see her. I am in love with her brave little spirit, her giggling while playing cards with her parents, and for being your daughter.

    I would think it would have been very difficult to leave any child behind but I am relieved that the orphanage was not a bad place and that they seemed to appreciate you for opening your home, your hearts, and your lives to Isabel.

    I enjoyed reading about the other Isabel. You need to teach your daughter to make chocolate cake. It would only be appropriate. I think God gave you the perfect name for her as well as giving her the perfect parents for her.

    I can't wait to meet Isabel and see all your pictures! You are loved and prayed for more than you can imagine.

    P.S. Please don't let that child become a Screaming Chicken or a Gator fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your account early this morning, attended a meeting, came home, read it again, kept an appointment, came home, read it again, took my friend, Delilah, out to dinner, came home, and read it again. Each time my eyes filled with tears ----- of joy. I have felt from the first time I saw Isabel's picture that God was in control. She looks so much like Marla and seems to have characteristics of both Marla and Will. You are constantly in my prayers. Plan a trip to NC as soon as possible. Love you, Aunt Marj

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Pridgen Family!

    If this double posts I apologize. Didn't seem to work the first time. I just read this post to Sherry and by the time I finished she had tears streaming down her face. Your updates have really opened our eyes and we can be sure that it doesn't matter what age Emily is when we finally get her referral. All that matters is that she is loved like Isabel will be by the two of you. Can't wait for you to get home. Don't think you're going to get out of sitting down with us and taking us back through your journey again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss you guys!!! I love the blogs, I get up every morning and keep checking until I get my daily update! Everyday my eyes are filled with tears of joy!!! And after every post I can truly understand "That it was worth the wait!!"

    (Did Will really think that he was really getting a sprite??)Texas Hold'em please wait till you get back so Isabel and I can learn together)JK JK
    We have enjoyed the lighter side as well)
    "May God Bless" The Crews'
    (I just had to get my own blog spot)Gary

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is good....and you three are proof of that! We're counting down the days until Isabel arrives and we can finally meet this miracle of miracles! Can't promise that we will be without tears when we see her! :o)

    Love you all! The Townsends

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Will, Marla & Isabel,
    I was so happy to meet you in Huidong. You are the most lovely parents I have ever met~~
    and i belive that you will be the three musketteers in the future~~
    Tell Isabel I am missing her .
    Love you all,
    Yan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marla and Will, Grant and I wondered if you would see the orphanage-we didn't think that would happen. I'm glad to know that it did, even though it was so emotional for you. Like you said it's good that you got a glimpse of Isabel's life was like before you God gave her to you. I was happy to know that the orphanage was what you described-it's bad but I sort of have had images of the orphanage from Annie.
    How blessed the 3 of you are. Like your Aunt Marj said-ever since I saw Isable's picture I thought she looked like someone I knew- she's right-it's you. I laughed and cried again reading this post-especially over the paragraph about your meal after you left the orphanage.
    Your in our thoughts and prayers.
    lots of love,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete