Monday, August 31, 2009

Isabel's First Day at Westwood

Monday, August 31

Today was Isabel's first day at Westwood. She is in the 5th grade in Dr. Wright's class. All day Sunday Will and I asked her if she was excited about her first day at school. Each time she would respond would a smile and a shake of her head, no. We knew she was nervous.

This morning we were all up early for the big day. Will and I walked Isabel into school and to her room. When we reached her room across the door was a big banner signed by all her classmates saying, "Welcome Isabel." We only stayed a minute and then we left. She has the most wonderful class and teachers. We knew that she was in good hands.

I'll start tomorrow, so today I had a chance to be "story mom" in Isabel's class. I read a short book to her class about the characters in Chinese writing as well as answered questions about our trip.

This afternoon I picked Isabel up and began the parent pop quiz, "What did you do today?" She was quiet on the way home. I think it was a very overwhelming day for her. When we arrived home we began our reading homework. Isabel almost cried as we read. I can only imagine how overwhelmed she is feeling. I assured her that it will be fine.

It will be fine because I know how many people want her to succeed. It could not be a better learning situation. It will be slow going, but that is OK. As David in Ghangzhou, China says, "Take it easy!" she'll be fine.

She was worth the wait!
Will aka "Isabel's Dad, Marla aka "Isabel's Mom", and Isabel

3 comments:

  1. Marla I am so proud of you all. Everything will be fine! In a few short months she'll just be one of the girls in there with that great group. Kids adapt so much better than we do. She will learn to communicate quicker from the friends she's meeting than anything. Keep smiling- you're doing great! And keep up the posts when you can- they are awesome! Good luck starting back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of my brave & beautiful new grand daughter. Starting school in a new and strange country. I can't imagine how much courage that must take. Isabel, I just wish you had my other five grand daughters there for back up. You would be invincible. You just take it real slow and easy, you've got plenty of time. I'm sure you are going to be fine.
    I attended a birthday party that Aunt Dargan had for Uncle Marty and Billie showed me her gold fish and said she caught the cat with his paw in the bowl. I doubt you'll get to meet this fish.
    I wish you and your Mom well for the new school year. I know you'll both make us proud.
    Can't wait to give you another hug.
    Love,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel, you will soon make friends with someone in your class and everything will be different. You will be having fun at school. A lot of kids are scared when they first start school in a strange place, so believe Mom and Dad when they tell you it will be fine.
    Marla and Will, I know you are so excited about Isabel's first day at school. Just keep encouraging her. As you know, everything will be fine. Love, Aunt Margie.

    ReplyDelete