Thursday, August 6, 2009

Searching for a Routine

Thursday, August 6th-10:30 P.M.

Will started back to work on Wednesday. I know that it was hard for him to leave his new little daughter. For eighteen years Will has had the same routine, up at 5:30, off to work by 6:45. All it took for him to change his routine is one little girl named Isabel. For Will's first day back at work he had the perfect vision of a nice family breakfast. Every other day that would be fine since Isabel is usually an early riser. Of course, Isabel quickly burst his bubble. Wednesday morning was the day that Isabel chose to sleep in. I tried to tell Will that this family breakfast idea was fine while I wasn't working, however I just couldn't make any promises after I started back to work. I tried to assure him that Pop Tarts probably came in some type of Asian variety. Thank heavens Isabel helped me out of this one by sleeping late.

For the last two days we have been trying to establish a daily routine. Each morning after breakfast we begin our work on English. We've been working in basic reading books on phonics and sight words. We have also been using the computer to visit various children's educational websites. Isabel has never worked on the computer so this really seems to hold her attention. Each morning Isabel does a little more and, if nothing else, puts my mind at ease that she will be fine.

Today was day four of visiting Asian restaurants in Dalton. Will and I have started rating each restaurant with a similar scale to our hotel Chinese lantern scale. We rate on a 1-10 Chinese Chop Sticks scale. We thought about becoming Asian restaurant food critics and having a column in the Daily Citizen on Sundays. If you need any information about an area Asian restaurant please contact us at
555-ASIA. It really has been nice because each day we've met someone at each restaurant that speaks Chinese and will have a conversation with Isabel in her native tongue. The people that we have met have been so kind. They always offer their phone number and tell us not to hesitate to call and they will translate. They are just being incredibly nice but they will never know how much it means to us. We've added them all to our Chinese hot line list.

Isabel has met so many people in the last four days. We were afraid that she may be overwhelmed but she seems to be taking it all in stride. Yesterday she met friends from the bank and Dalton Public Schools central office including the superintendent. I went to school this afternoon to pick up a few things from work. Isabel was able to meet many of the teachers. Everyone was so sweet to her and I know that she had to enjoy the attention. I feel that this child will have so many people that will love her and watch over her. I must say I don't know what I did to get so lucky to work at such a wonderful school.

This evening Isabel asked to call the orphanage. Well, she didn't ask. She brought her little notebook with numbers to Will and then pointed to the phone. He asked her if she wanted to call China and she said yes. She made the call. We put the phone on speaker phone and listened but please don't ask us what was said. She chatted up a storm. We can only image what was said but she did seem to enjoy it and the phone was handed off several times during the conversation. Today we picked up our pictures from the trip. We think that seeing the pictures of friends made Isabel a little homesick.

She was so worth the wait!
Hugs and kisses to all!

Will, Marla, and Isabel

6 comments:

  1. Dear Marla,
    I am so enjoying reading your blog and the events of each day! What a blessing for those that live so far away from Dalton. We continue to pray for you, Isabel and Will! We are so very happy for all of you! Love, Kari :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really a challenge for Isabel, but she can make it~~~
    Go through it together,and this is the amazing memory for all of us!!
    Love you all,
    Yan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a card written to go in the mail today. In it I say I miss my daily dose of Pridgen news. This morning (Friday) I found a new entry. Yea!

    Poor Will. I bet he was miserable being away from the two of you and having to go to work. Did he show Isabel's picture to every person at the bank?

    I am curious. Did Isabel find anything at all familiar to eat at the Asian restaurants in town? Some, I suspect, are not very authentic.
    How many ways can YOU fix rice now?

    Did Isabel seem excited when talking to people at the orphanage? How great that she could call and talk to them. I wonder if she was bragging about her fantastic parents and her, big home.

    I hope you are finding time to read all the comments to your blog posts. Please call me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your taking time to bring us up to date. I feel that I am being selfish in hoping to find a message from you every day, but hey, I still enjoy them.
    I was concerned that Isabel would be overwhelmed with meeting so many people, but she seems to be taking it in stride. I'm sure she finds it joyful to see her parents loved by so many people. AND, she "ain't seen nothin yet." Just wait until she sees her grandparents in NC and SC. Is she a hugging child? I hope so.
    I know Brooke and Ryan are anxious to meet their cousin. When I told Sarah about her, and that she is eleven years old, she started jumping up and down. At last, someone close to her age at the family parties. She wondered if Isabel will be able to come to her 11th birthday party on Halloween day. She and Ben are sharing parties this year. Her birthday is on the 3rd of November and Ben's is on the 24th. Ashley does have wonderful parties for them with stations set up with games according to age.
    Isabel. has Tigger calmed down? He is just jealous that you are taking time away from him with "his parents." He will get over it.
    Do come to see us soon.
    Love to all,
    Aunt Marj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will and Marla...thanks so much for continuing to write on your blog. I look every day so I can keep up with Isabel and your new life together. This has been an exciting adventure for all of us! Miss you and can't wait to see you.
    love, Lynn*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marla, thank you so much for the update. It was wonderful to meet Isabel. I wanted to rush right up and hug both of you, but I didn't want to overwhelm your beautiful daughter. Her eyes sparkled and she seemed tickled when your friends hugged you! I think she is proud of her mom and sees that many people love you too!

    ReplyDelete