Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sleepless in Seattle


Time-Can't do the math-
6:30 A.M./P.M.
(The sun is shining if that helps) Date-The Friday that keeps going
Really Saturday, August 1st

Mood-Tired, hungry, and we are afraid Isabel is eyeing new prospects for parents.

Good news and bad news. The good news, we are in the United States. The bad news, we are on the wrong side of the United States. We are once again stuck in Seattle. Again today.....oops... wrong...I mean yesterday, we were up at 4:30 for an early flight from Beijing to Tokyo (three hour flight). "Little" door problem at the beginning of the flight, but we were only delayed for a few minutes. However...when we arrived in Tokyo we were delayed four and a half hours with the same "little" door issue. Door never closed so we got new plane with door handle and we left Tokyo at 7:30 P.M. on our ten hour flight to Seattle.

And you remember this next part from the first leg of our trip. We missed all our connecting flights. Once in Seattle we had two hours of waiting to get Isabel's paperwork processed. With the two hour processing time our bags went through customs without us and were heading toward Chattanooga. Crazy lady at the ticket line had the nerve to ask where we had been and why we weren't with our bags. I guess she finally got the message when our heads almost spun around and Will and I simultanously said "we have been in immigration and customs" .....like we could actually go somewhere else.

Needless to say our day was going less than perfect. We went to dinner and it was not good. Isabel did not eat, which was a first. We checked into some hotel we've never heard of (a quarter star up from Sino-Swiss.) We've had no sleep, a child that we think is regressing from about ten words a day to may three. I've had about seventeen hours on a plane to think about how difficult this is going to be. I would be lying if I didn't tell you that there are times when we wonder about just what have we gotten ourselves into.

However, after dinner I noticed that this hotel has a business center. Thought I would look at the blog. Deanna had mentioned that people could make comments so I took a look. Well, I was overwhelmed by the words of our family and friends. It was truly the answer to my prayers from many hours earlier. You would not believe how your kind words lifted my spirits.

Heading home tomorrow. If all goes well we should be in Chattanooga 8:45 P.M.

She was worth the wait!

Hugs and kisses to all.

Will, Marla, and Isabel

9 comments:

  1. Marla..I tooo remember feeling soo overwhelmed.. just the journey to get our girls is soo much BUT THEY ARE WORTH THE WAIT...things will get better.. you are just tired and wanting to get home..(oh I DO remember that feeling) GOD IS SOO GOOD. he has carried you this far and he will be with you every step of the way...along with your wonderful family and friends... we can't wait to meet her... big hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheer up. Its always blackest before the dawn and don't forget the old football slogan, "fatigue makes cowards of us all". Everything will look rosy when you get home and get about 24 hours of sleep under your belt. Isabel is tired and overwhelmed by circumstances. Give my grand daughter a chance, she's only an ll year old child, far from all that is familiar. She'll adapt very quickly to her new surroundings, once she is rested and fed. I'm confident she'll make us all very proud, like all my grand daughters.
    Now come on home and when you are rested, count your blessings.
    Love to you all,
    grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will, Marla, and Isabel,
    Thinking of you and praying God's peace will fill your heart and mind as you begin another chapter with Isabel. "Home Sweet Home" - It will be worth all the waiting.

    "Cast your cares upon the Lord and He will give you rest" Psalm 55: 22

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly confided last night that you will be a better parent than she is because you know so much more. I only pass this along to point out that most, if not all, parents feel overwhelmed when they first become parents and off and on evermore. Sleep will help A LOT. By the way, I think I am falling in love with Grandpa Bill. I love the way he talks about his newest granddaughter.

    Most of all, remember many prayers are lifting you up each step (or flight) of the way. God knew what He was doing when he put the three of you together. As Judy H. said, these are your labor pains.

    I am going to wait to come meet Isabel until you tell me it is okay. I hate not getting to see that precious child right away but I think she may need more than just a few hours or days to readjust to her new life. Please let me know when/how I can help. You have a free psychologist ready if you should want one. You also have a friend who loves you very much, believes in you, and will keep praying for you.
    I love you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. Marla,
    I remembered to say Mrs. Marla this time. Doesn't it feel great to be a mother? I know Isabel feels the same way to have someone to love, hug, and cherish wonderful moments. I hope you had as great a summer as I did. I can't wait to meet and play with Isabel. I can't wait until you get back!
    Your sweet student,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. All will be well with you when you have some sleep and some chicken noodle soup. Not to make light but you brave three are going to make it just as those that have come before. So many prayers going up for you. Deetz

    ReplyDelete
  7. The travelers are in Chicago and will be home around 9 p. m. They hope for Chattanooga, but will take Atlanta, if they have to. Still without rest and still on China time. It will take a while. I told them of your love and support and the many prayers in their behalf.
    Even my wife, the bravest woman I have ever
    known was awed by motherhood and I told will to share that with Marla. Nothing easy about being a parent, but the rewards are boundless.
    thanks to everybody for everything. Your love and support makes me proud to have my children living among you. Will, Marla and Isabel will need your help, after they are rested and I know it will be forthcoming.
    Love to all of you,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pridgens,
    I am least qualified to offer advice at such a time as this, but in a world full of experts who write books and produce infomercials about the "right" way to parent, nothing seems to serve us better than instinct. You can thank Bill and Mitzi, and Bill and Nancy for showing and giving you all the tools you will ever need to be the great parents you are. Your worries are not new, they are just the precursors to the new things you will add to your encylopaedia of life experience. Congratulations! You are on the team, now you get to enjoy the most wonderful pastime God ever created: witnessing the amazing gifts your daughter will give you both.
    Hey, when you think you want to go back to the good old days, you know, "the way it USED to be," just remember college algebra. Remember the feeling of sleep deprivation brought on by university exams? Even those sinking feelings of desperation were remedied by some good, old fashioned sleep. Here is hoping you will do one thing for the Jumping One: When you feel like you are over your head, grab a Pridgen hand and tell that Pridgen you love them. Also, just breathe. The rest will work out in God's time. We can't do better than that.

    Rest well with love from Lenoir, NC,
    The Jumping One (and the 3 other Dolls)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They could not get out of Chicago last night, but will leave there at 10:00 a. m. CST for Chattanooga.
    Its 4:30 A.M. here, and thanks to an early rising news paper delivery man, I've read the news and had coffee. I usually start my day with a little thanks for all of God's great gifts and have so many reasons to be grateful this morning. I noticed that John, Chuck & their families have followed their old college room mates, travels and I am grateful for these tried and true friendships for my son.
    My best to them and all of you whose words of love and support have lifted up my children according to their needs.
    With love for you all,
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete