Saturday, August 29, 2009

Update From a Busy Week

August 29

We've had a very busy week. More firsts for Isabel. Thursday, a week ago, Isabel had her first haircut. I really don't think that she wanted to have a trim, but I insisted. It took both Virginia, the stylist, and me to assure Isabel that we would not cut off all her beautiful hair, only then did she agree. After Virginia was finished I think Isabel really did like her trim. Isabel's hair looked so pretty down, but as quickly as Virginia finished cutting her hair back into the ponytail it went.

Next we had lunch with a friend at a Chinese buffet. Isabel had a very good talking to on that day. I never miss a chance when someone is translating to interject..."please ask her to ask questions and talk." That usually gets Isabel a long lecture and that day was no exception. Those that are translating always say it much better than I ever could and usually tell Isabel their own story of when they first came to America.

Later that afternoon we went to visit a friend, Beth Smith, who had ordered Isabel a box of Chinese/English books. Beth is such a dear friend with whom I went to graduate school. She has been there through our whole adoption journey. The box included a Chinese Bible story book that Isabel reads each night before she goes to bed.

Thursday night we left for Pawleys Island. I think that Isabel understood the concept of a weekend vacation and was quite happy that this seven hour car trip didn't involve an airplane. The weekend was packed with activities. Friday morning we headed down to the beach. Isabel's first time to see the ocean. I think that Will and I were both expecting some big reaction, but that never happened. I think she was preoccupied with wearing her bathing suit. Something that she doesn't care for at all. When we were settled on the beach, I asked Isabel if she'd like to take off her shorts and shirt and just wear her bathing suit but she didn't and I didn't push it. Will said, "Let's go down and put our feet into the ocean." Isabel was game so off we went. What fun. Such a happy family. Well that didn't last long! As soon as Isabel wet her big toe a wave came in, washed over her feet, the sand washed out under her feet, and she went down. It happened in slow motion. She went all the way down and her clothes were wet and sandy. Will looked at me and said, "Well I think we've already ruined her on the beach." It did get better. We flew kites and looked for shells. All things considered, not a bad day given how it started.

Later, on Friday we headed out to get Isabel a bike. Yes, I know everyone in China rides bikes, but Isabel had never ridden. She picked out a really cute pink and purple bike. I really think that she was excited about the bike right up until I said, "Now let's pick out a helmet." To that I got the "no, no" finger. In response to the finger I told her that it was the law that children wear helmets when they ride bicycles. I'm not sure if it is the law or not, but at that point I wasn't above lying to the child. However, it didn't help that in S.C. people ride motorcycles without helmets. Will added training wheels to her bike and we were off.

Late Friday night Will's father phoned to tell us that Will's Uncle Jack had passed away. Uncle Jack and his wife Aunt Bobbie live in Surfside Beach not far from Pawleys Island. We would attend the funeral Sunday afternoon.

Saturday Isabel met her Grandpa Pridgen. Isabel shared pictures from her orphanage and our trip with her new Grandpa. We went out to lunch and then we headed to visit with Aunt Bobbie and Will's cousins. I think Isabel enjoyed the visit especially meeting new family members. Saturday Isabel met Will's Uncle Sonny and Aunt Margaret. They came down and stayed with us to attend the funeral.

Sunday afternoon we went to Uncle Jack's funeral. We did not do a very good job of explaining the funeral service to Isabel. We told her that we needed to get ready to go to church. That was the only way that we could get her into a skirt. Isabel was able to meet Will's sister Dargan and one of our nieces, Billie who came down for the funeral. Isabel never met Uncle Jack, but if she understood the language she would definitely know what kind of man he was after that service. The service was one of the most beautiful that I have ever attended.

Soon after the funeral we headed back to Dalton. We stopped to get drinks and I introduced Isabel to Slurpee's/Icee's. I knew she would like them and hoped she wouldn't get an "ice cream headache." As we were riding along I hear in the back seat the loud slurping of the straw at the bottom of the cup. As she sucked down that last little slurp I had to smile. I thought that's my little girl. I guess I've waited a long time to hear that annoying little sound, but you know, I loved it. It didn't annoy me one bit.

Monday morning we headed for the dentist's office for the first of two root canals. Isabel did great. I think I could have used a stiff drink, but she did great. She never complained, not before, during, or after. She is a brave little girl.

This past Friday night we took Isabel to her first football game. I don't think she knew what to think of the large cheering crowd. Will tried his best to explain football to Isabel. I just told her to cheer for the red team. I think she enjoyed the game. Go Big Red!

She was worth the wait!

Will, Marla, and Isabel

1 comment:

  1. Marla, I have been thinking of you and Will. Most people have years to gradually let their children learn about the world around them, but you are doing the crash course. God picked just the right parents for Isabel! What a wonderful job you are doing!

    ReplyDelete