Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lessons in Faith

Tuesday, August 11th-10:00 P.M.

Sorry I haven't written in a few days.

Saturday night we went to visit and have dinner with the Crews family. It was great to see them, talk, and share pictures. John and Kara were so sweet to entertain Isabel with Nintendo games. Isabel had a blast with them and is getting quite good at the video games. Kara gave Isabel a small Hello Kitty house. It is so cute. At one point Kara and John were playing with Isabel in the floor with it. They were so sweet to do that. Two young people taking their time to show Isabel that it is okay to play. That is really something she has a hard time with. Play should come so easily to children, but to her it doesn't.

Since we received the news about our adoption of Isabel in May I have always wondered and worried how will we teach this eleven year old child about Christ. How in the world can I do this when we have a hard enough time communicating. This was really weighing on my mind this weekend. Saturday afternoon I received a call from my dear friend Beth Smith and she said..."I know you and this has probably been worrying you, so I ordered you Bible stories in Chinese." Of course, I started to cry. An answer to a prayer. I really don't know why I worry so much. It is just a waist of my time.

Sunday morning we headed to the early service at church. Yes, I did finally get the child in a dress which was no easy task. She did, however, wear her black Mickey Mouse tennis shoes with the dress. You have to pick your battles, and the shoes I wasn't ready to tackle. Isabel did fine in church. However it was an emotional service for both Will and me. The youth led the service which was centered around there recent mission trip. One of the first young people to speak talked about their trip to an orphanage. This of course took me immediately to Isabel's life before us and the difficulties she must have experienced. Next, we stood to sing a song. Two Sundays ago when we went to church in Guangzhou we sang a song that I had never heard before. I remember the song well because it was very moving to see so many sing this song in English. Well...we sang that very same song Sunday morning! Talk about a wake up call! Well it gets better. Just about the time I'm thinking this service was tailor made for me, the music director sang a solo entitled, "Orphans of God."


Orphans Of God
Who here among us has not been broken
Who here among us is without guilt or pain
So oft’ abandoned by our transgressions
If such a thing as grace exists
Then grace was made for lives like this

There are no strangers
There are no outcasts
There are no orphans of God
So many fallen, but hallelujah
There are no orphans of God

Come ye unwanted and find affection
Come all ye weary, come and lay down your head
Come ye unworthy, you are my brother
If such a thing as grace exists
Then grace was made for lives like this

O blessed Father, look down upon us
We are Your children, we need Your love
We run before Your throne of mercy
And seek Your face to rise above


Last night Isabel went to her first Chattanooga Lookouts game. Bank of America sponsored the evening complete with hamburgers and hot dogs. No rice or chopsticks for Isabel. We asked what she would like and she quickly replied, hamburger. Well we've found something she doesn't care for, hamburgers. She took off the meat patty and ate bun. She also does not care for baked beans or slaw. It was moving to watch her take it all in especially the "Star Spangled Banner."

This morning Isabel read to me "The Cat in the Hat." She can read the words, but of course, the comprehension isn't there yet. Still very quiet and shy but seems to be relaxing a little more each day.

Thanks so much for all your love and support through our journey thus far. We know we have a long road ahead of us, but together we'll take it one day at a time.

She was worth the wait.

Hugs and kisses.

Will, Marla, and Isabel

5 comments:

  1. Dear Marla,

    Well, it seems you had a very busy weekend. I'm thinking that you and Will are having as many "firsts" as Isabel -- that can be very overwhelming, but from the lessons you learned in church Sunday you all should know that God's hand is in everything that happens in our lives. That service was meant for the Pridgen family and all the people that love and care for you. Sometimes God's hand is so light that we don't even notice, but sometimes it's right there in our face so we can't help but notice --- isn't it nice to know that he is there always?
    I've missed your blog over the weekend -- I check constantly, but I know you are very busy. We all love reading about all of you and your new life together.
    Wow!! I can't believe Isabel is already reading English (even if she doesn't know what it means). You've got a smart daughter there!! And I always knew you were a great teacher and it certainly shows --- the comprehension will come in time -- who really understands "The Cat in the Hat" anyway??
    I remember a little girl that came to us from Japan in March -- by June she was reading "Have You Seen My Cat" in English with a Japanese- Southern accent. When I heard her read I could hear my own southern drawl and I thought "Oh my, what have I done to this child?" -- But she took off and started reading and understanding. Children learn so quickly, and Isabel will too.

    I hope ya'll have a great week --- can't wait to see you back at school -- we miss you!!!!
    Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marla,
    Once again your "post" has left me with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I am overwhelmed with happiness for you and Will and Isabel! The song thing is an awesome testimony to God's promise that He is with us always....no matter where in the world we may be. I know He will continue to walk through each day of this incredible journey with you!

    Marla, I'm so proud that you have already learned the #1 rule of mothers and daughters.....choose your battles! (Especially when it comes to the clothing department!!) You are doing great, girl!

    We are so anxious for you and Isabel to join us back at Westwood, but we know how important and special this time of "bonding" is for you all right now. So, enjoy each day...we'll be ready when you are!!
    Love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who enjoyed playing with Isabel more...John & Kara or me & Gary....yes..Isabel will have to give Gary & me some jumproping tips!! Watching us make fools of ourselves trying to jumprope was quite entertaining for Isabel! By the end of our visit, she was laughing, eating pizza, candy & playing video games-she is such a precious,bright young lady! We are so thankful that she is finally here and is a part of all of our lives!
    We can't wait to see yall again!

    Always Thinking of You All!!
    Kim, Gary, John & Kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marla, Will, and Isabel, each time I sit down at the computer, the first thing I do is turn to Isabelsjourney to see what is happening today. I am enjoying keeping up with your experiences. I feel that I am getting acquainted with Isabel, even though I have not yet met her face to face. And, of course, Marla, I have known and loved you since you were an infant ---- and Will, since before your wedding. I have no doubt that with you as her parents, she is going to learn about Christ as she observes your daily lives --- your love for each other, your love for her, your love for your families (her grandparents, etc.) and their love for you, your love for your church, and your love for God, His Son Jesus Christ,and His Holy Spirit, which she does not understand at this time, but it will come.
    She is a very fortunate little girl. As she becomes more aware of all she has, she will be so glad you chose her to be your daughter.
    God bless you all!
    Love you,
    Aunt Marj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Marla, what a blessing your post is! I am so glad that you know that you are not in this alone, and that God's hand has been in this all along. I am keeping all of you in my prayers and looking forward to seeing you and Isabel at school soon! Much love! Carol

    ReplyDelete